Native to the Pacific Northwest of North America, Arborvitae is a majestic evergreen coniferous tree that is valued for its many unique benefits. Arborvitae is known as the “tree of life” in the essential oil community. The Arborvitae is a tree native to Canada and fun fact, all parts of the Arborvitae tree were used extensively by Native Americans.
Traditionally, Native Americans have used every part of the arborvitae tree for a variety of purposes. They built homes and canoes from the wood, made baskets from the roots, and crafted clothes, rope, and twine from the bark. They also used leaves in teas and salves for certain health benefits.
Some unique components found in Arborvitae essential oil give it its profound therapeutic benefits. High in tropolone content, Arborvitae essential oil contains strong cleansing properties that protect the immune system and support normal cell activity in the body. The essential oil also makes an excellent insect repellant and natural wood preservative. Arborvitae’s warm, woody, earthy aroma calms nerves and balances emotions.
10 Fun Facts & Ways to Use Arborvitae Essential Oil
- Arborvitae protects against environmental and seasonal threats.
- Arborvitae is a powerful cleansing and purifying agent.
- Arborvitae is a natural insect repellent. Apply to your wrists and ankles before and during a hike.
- Apply to pulse points for healthy cell function.
- doTERRA is the only company in the aromatherapy industry that offers Arborvitae essential oil.
- The oldest arborvitae tree discovered was around 1,653 years old when it died.
- Because of the preservative properties of the Arborvitae oil, even trees that have fallen hundreds of years ago still look as if they had fallen only yesterday.
- Diffuse in the home to purify the air and repel insects from inside the home.
- Mix with water in a spray bottle to clean surfaces.
- Mix 4 drops of Arborvitae essential oil and 2 drops of Lemon essential oil for a natural wood preservative and polish.